Seven Can Taco Soup
This is one of many versions of a hearty, tummy-warming soup that is fast and easy to make and feeds a crowd! Serve it with sour cream, cheese, salsa, corn chips, corn bread or even add a fried or scrambled egg and toast for breakfast. Make it as below, or feel free to change it up and create your own delicious combo. Enjoy!
- 1.5 pounds or ground beef or turkey (omit or use meat substitute if making a vegetarian version)
- 1 large onion, chopped or sliced thin
- 3-4 Tbs of olive oil
- 1 14.5 oz can of beef or vegetable consommé
- 1 28 oz can of hominy corn
- 2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 14.5 oz can of pinto beans
- 1 14.5 oz can of black beans
- 1 2.25 oz can of diced green chiles (hot or mild)
- 1 packet of powdered ranch dressing mix
- 1 packet taco flavoring mix (hot or mild)
- Optional: 1-2 tsp ground ancho chili powder
In a stock pot over a medium flame heat the olive oil and saute the onions and (if using) protein (make sure to crumble this) until lightly brown. Add the canned ingredients one at a time and stir with each addition.
NOTE: There is NO need to drain and rinse any of the ingredients. The liquids will add to the flavor and consistency of the soup. However, if you prefer to drain and rinse, note that you may have to add water.
Add the flavoring mixes and optional seasonings and simmer for about ten minutes or until the flavors meld and the desired consistency is reached. Serve with your favorite toppings and sides as you enjoy the scenery and the company of your besties.