Group of kayakers with paddles held high

Commercial Use Permit

Commercial recreation providers (e.g., kayak adventures, bike tours) must register and obtain a permit to operate commercial recreation in State parks.

Do I need a Commercial Use Permit?

Commercial recreation providers are businesses that conduct recreational business activities on or through state park lands. Washington State Parks has a variety of commercial recreation providers including tour groups, kayak adventures, bicycle tours, mountain climbing expeditions, day camps and more.

In addition, businesses that offer recreational rentals are also considered commercial use. Each business is required to register and obtain a Commercial Use Permit in order to engage in commercial use of state parks.

Registration for Commercial Use Permit requires completion of the application, proof of insurance, and paying the appropriate fees. For more information or questions that are not shown on this page, call (360) 902-8593 or email the permit office.

Application and usage fees

A non-refundable $50 annual application fee is required for all businesses.

For-profit businesses pay a use fee of $2 per person/per day/per park. Non-profit businesses pay $1 per person/per day/per park. This fee also applies to your staff. Usage fees are paid at the end of your season. In the fall, you will be sent a reminder to pay your usage fees and provide a usage report. Track your use throughout the season on the Usage Report (Excel, 1.2MB).

Applying for the permit

To apply and receive a Commercial Use Permit for Washington State Parks, follow these steps:

1. Fill out, print, sign and date the Registration/Permit Application (PDF). Include itineraries, schedules and maps of the locations you plan to use. Non-profit groups must send in proof of non-profit status.

2. Include your certificate of insurance (COI) which lists Washington State Parks as the additional insured. We require $1,000,000 in liability with a general aggregate of $2,000,000.  

3. Mail the application, supporting documents, COI and application fee to:

Washington State Parks & Recreation
P.O. Box 42650
Olympia, WA 98504-2650

Please allow up to 30 days for processing. If your application submission is missing any of the required documents, processing will take longer than 30 days.

Other things to know

The Commercial Use Permit does not cover your parking or overnight stay. A Discover Pass is required for all vehicles parking within park property for the day. Depending on your activities, other permits may be required such as the boat launch permit or Sno-Park permit. If your activity involves an overnight stay, you will need to reserve your accommodation/campsite and pay the appropriate overnight fee.

The Commercial Use Permit is good for one calendar year (Jan. 1 - Dec. 31).