Historic stone wall

Public Records Requests

Learn about how to make a public record request with Washington State Parks.

The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission (Parks) is committed to providing the fullest access possible to the Agency’s public records in accordance with the Public Records Act (PRA) (Chapter 42.56 or the Revised Code of Washington).

 Release of/access to many types of lists which may be used for commercial purposes is prohibited by RCW 42.56.070(8).

 Some information may be redacted or exempted from records, including:

  • Personal information (i.e., child information, personal information of public employees, contact information);
  • Health information;
  • Deliberative process information and drafts (i.e., preliminary drafts or recommendations, notes and intra-agency communication if they pertain to the agency’s deliberative process and show the exchange of opinions within the agency before it reaches a final decision or takes action);
  • Attorney-client privileged communications;
  • Financial information (i.e., banking and financial information, social security numbers, taxpayer identification numbers, driver license numbers); and
  • Public employee records (i.e., active investigations, employee performance evaluations where there is no discussion of specific incidents of misconduct, applicant information, test and exam questions.

A full list of exemptions can be found in the PRA.

Typically, when content is redacted from a record, the information will be removed, and the record will be marked with the applicable statute.  If the entire document is withheld, it will be noted on an exemption log. 

Parks uses the default fee schedule in the PRA to recover actual costs of provided records (below).  Payment is required before the records are provided.  Fees totaling less than $5 may be waived.

ion uses the default fee schedule from the Public Records Act to recover actual costs of provided records. Payment is required before records are provided.

Fee schedule

Charge Type/size of record
$.15 Per page for photocopies or printed copies.
$.10 Per page for copies converted into an electronic format.
$.05 Per each four electronic files or attachments uploaded to an e-mail or other electronic delivery method.
$.10 Per gigabyte for electronic files provided in an electronic format.
Actual cost Per any digital storage device such as a compact disc, digital video disc, universal serial bus flash drive, etc.

How to submit a Public Records Request

A requester can submit a public record request to Parks using our Public Record Request Center.

Or a requester can complete a request for public record (P&R A-374) form and submit it via e-mail or postal mail using the following addresses:

Washington State Parks
Records Office
P.O. Box 42650
Tumwater, WA   98501-6512

Email: public.disclosure@parks.wa.gov

Questions can be directed to the Records Office by e-mailing public.disclosure@parks.wa.gov or by calling either (360) 902-8514 or (360) 902-8522.